Feedback Please consider allowing 3 letter words in search.

• Before starting a new thread for an issue, please use the search bar to see if a topic already exists. Please ensure you include as much detail as possible when reporting any issues.

For further information about using this section: Support Guidelines
    To submit and vote on ideas for new features: Ideas and Suggestions
    For answers to our Frequently Asked Questions: FAQ
    For a guide on how to level up: Noob Guide

H0tTub

Hot Tub Water Drinker
Nov 10, 2022
0fya082315al84db03fa9bf467e3.png
For models with three letter names like the one mentioned Ali lee, the thread title should not include spaces or include a / to denote their name with no spaces

Example (Ali Lee / AliLee)

I know there is an effort to remove special characters from titles but I think this would make a difference in searching for these harder to search for names. I think it could also be helpful to "report" a thread title so a mod can change the thread name to accommodate searching since we are unlikely to get 3 letter search

Reactions: dorado

Loviatar

Mother of Nine
Mar 11, 2022
Please, Log in or Register to view quotes
This can be done with tags without "ruining" the thread title, the thread will then appear in search if you use those variations. I often add tags with underscores and without spaces in cases like this.

Anyone with the Simp rank can add tags to their own threads, and Simp Council can add tags to any threads.

rayeho

Fan
Jan 11, 2023
Sure I agree but Tags are not used in threads 100% of the time. But a title is required 100% of the time. And when tags are used, they are often common tags that hardly discern the false-positives from the actual content we are looking for. Tags are a great feature when used correctly. From my years of sleuthing several forums I’ve noticed Tags haven’t caught on the way you and I want them to.
What if the mods were to allow 3 letter or even 2 letter searches for two weeks as a test period to see how the site performance is affected. crunch the numbers and maybe make a poll/vote to see if it’s a feature worth adding permanently.

JohnQwerty

Superfan
Jun 28, 2022
Well that only works IF the three-letter-word you're searching for is the model's name and IF the topic creator properly formats the title. Those are two big IFs. And really, it's a lot of extra work when the whole thing could just easily be solved by turning on three-letter-word searches. I mean, everyone gets that's the easiest option, right?

Reactions: rayeho

dorado

degenerate
Mar 16, 2022
quoted from:
Please, Log in or Register to see links and images
also: these posts are over 10 years old..

of course you could test it in any case..
but there's a little bit more to it than changing one line in the code it seems to me.

edit:
Please, Log in or Register to see links and images

and this is where i have to check out and leave it to the mods.

To me it seems like the fulltext-index is becoming exponentially larger with every 3 letter word indexed, especially if you include posts not just thread titles.
Some guy mentioned using an auto-tagging system for thread titles for this very reason, but again probably a big hassle to put into place.

Last edited:

JohnQwerty

Superfan
Jun 28, 2022
We can keep debating the technical side of this, but at the end of the day most sites have three-letter-word searches enabled. This is one of the few sites that doesn't. So I can't believe there is some insurmountable technical barrier keeping us from getting this done. Not when the vast amount of other forums have managed it.

EDIT - I just checked three other sites I've been visiting for 20 years. They're now using XenForo and have three-letter turned off. Fuck, whatever happened to VBulletin? I know that 15 years ago I was doing three-letter searches with VBulletin and PhPBB. What the fuck happened? How did technology backslide on this? And how the fuck is GameFAQs with its millions of threads and ancient 90s software allowing three-letter searches when XenForo struggles with it?

I don't know the math here, but I still think this is worth doing. I can't believe the index is going to balloon that much just from going from 4-letter to 3-letter.

rayeho

Fan
Jan 11, 2023
excited good news GIF by South Park

This is awesome. Thanks for listening to us! 👍

Reactions: pvtrich