Discussion Twitch Korea shutting down

wagnerjokes

Fan
May 3, 2022
0fya082315al84db03fa9bf467e3.png
Please, Log in or Register to view quotes
The chatters you are hearing from are people who are biased and hate afreeca. They switched from Afreeca to other platforms for a reason. There are plenty of people who don't mind it at all and choose to stay on afreeca. Honestly, afreeca doesn't have that bad of a rep in Korea especially since it's the main streaming platform for LOL LCK and StarCraft, 2 of the biggest esports in Korea. Afreeca for the past 2 years has also been home to probably the GOAT of Korean streamer in Faker, so its reputation in Korea is vastly different from what Americans think of Kick.

Edit: Like if Afreeca has such a bad rep in Korea then they would be struggling to get solid and legit ad sponsors like Kick. But their ad platform/profit has been steadily increasing each year. The bad characters in afreeca are vastly drowned out by the production value of esports tournaments run by afreeca, and those are the headlines that media usually reports. Afreeca are pros at running tournaments, just ask any of the foreign people who visited afreeca to watch the valorant tournament they held at the end of last year. The majority of foreigner viewers left with a pretty positive view of afreeca.

Last edited:

wagnerjokes

Fan
May 3, 2022
I think that’s what they are trying to achieve with soop later this year. Seems like they want to make a separate site with esport focus and make it foreigner friendly. They probably saw the success they had when they invited the US esport team Sentinels to their valorant tournament last year and are trying to expand on that.

Reactions: koskos

oreo99

Tier 1 Sub
Mar 14, 2022
Is there any possible way to watch 19+ streams without an account korean id/ARC
The previous mentioned method isn't working for me idk :/

Last edited:
Reactions: blng612 and wartft

soyyy

Tier 2 Sub
Mar 12, 2022
Hey does anyone know how to download unpublished twitch vods, or when the stream is going?

fiendz

Lurker
Mar 11, 2022
Speaking of vods, does anyone know how to download chzzk vods? Specifically 19+ vods if that matters
can't pull any network streams and nothing detects a yt-dlp/ffmpeg command

edit: never mind found it, the container is stored in the xml before playback if anyone wants to know

Last edited:
Reactions: myownfairlady

xestry

Bathwater Drinker
Aug 1, 2022
Some general thoughts on how this has played out several months after the shutdown:

- Twitch feels very much on life support in terms of Korean streamers staying on. I feel like the only ones who will continue to do well are the core 'English speaking' group (everyone knows these ones, so jinny, hachubby, beddle, sora, yummy, mingming etc.).

- There were definitely some odd decisions from streamers who speak almost zero English that have stayed on (mostly via NPE), and then consequently have found they have totally dead chat rooms on Twitch and are relying on chzzk for people to communicate with. Also, most of this category of streamer have very few non-Korean oilers as well, so it really makes me question what the point of most of them staying on actually was, and I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of them realise Twitch is a bit pointless for them now and just move to Chzzk/Afreeca completely.

- Obviously there are a few yeocam streamers still trying to keep it going on Twitch. The big ones who stayed/came back (e.g. hankyung, golani, yoon froggy) have still maintained big audiences and most of their oilers, but have to be really, really careful with their content now after Twitch changed their ToS a few weeks back. I wouldn't be surprised if they all moved out of Twitch at some point in the near future if Twitch continue banning/suspending them.

- I thought that there may be some good from Twitch Korea handing over things to Twitch US, in terms of the remaining Koreans would be able to have more freedom over their content. It felt like that was true for the first few weeks after the shutdown, but I would say for the last month and a half, it's been much worse than when Twitch Korea were handling things, and I've seen a lot of the remaining Koreans get perma banned/suspended multiple times since the start of April. There's only so much of this they are going to put up with before giving up on Twitch completely I think (there's already a few that have got fed up and moved off Twitch because of this).

- There is also the whole 'Chzzk coming out of beta' thing (I think it's May 8th?) and I heard that streamers there cannot multi-stream after this date if they want to get the highest tier of partnership with Chzzk (but they can still multi-stream if they don't offer subs on Chzzk). So again, I think this will be another thing that forces more Koreans away from Twitch completely.

- Conclusion: I think the Twitch yeocam scene (or what's left of it) will be totally dead in the next 2-3 months. There might be one or two that manage to stick around, but they will have to tone down their content so much, it just won't be worth watching.

RIP Twitch, we enjoyed the Koreans while they were here but it's definitely end of an era!

xestry

Bathwater Drinker
Aug 1, 2022
One other thing to add - chodan & magenta have both got sub buttons again on Twitch. Unless this is a 'bug' of course like with sooflower.

It might make sense though, since they are basically just occasional streamers now, so maybe neither wants to take the time to grow new channels on Chzzk.

• POGGIES
Reactions: Booty Hunter 28

SailorJack

Bathwater Drinker
Mar 16, 2022
So I hear after June there might be some kind of block on Korean IP addresses. That will devastate the Korean viewer audience numbers if it happens cause let's face it a lot of them just won't go through getting a VPN. So if that happens Korean streamers that stream in Korean will probably bounce although some of the sexy streamers might want to still farm foreigners money and find a way to stay on. Should be interesting to see what happens in the next few months.

Never really liked the ouya Korean speaking streamers streams that much bc they always seem to have to cater to their oversensitive insecure xenophobic Korean male audience that would get upset if they spoke "too much" to foreigners in English. Hopefully we'll get more Korean ouya streamers speaking English if they ban Korean IPs.

Reactions: xestry

Booty Hunter 28

Bathwater Drinker
Mar 14, 2022
So far no IP ban yet, this is Twitch's official timeline
Please, Log in or Register to see links and images

Most of the girls trying to dual stream as long as possible on Twitch are Chzzk streamers like Sooflower and Winter due to their english oilers being too lazy to learn how to use Chzzk and basically saying no more donos after Twitch ends. The english streamers staying on Twitch are alright, but their viewers are WAY too parasocial and want their streamers to basically be their online female friend and not do too much ouya content, that's why Berry's best sexy content is mostly now on Afreeca and Twitch she just talks about her dog and what she ate for lunch, although sadly she hasn't been streaming much on Afreeca recently.

With other platforms like Chzzk and Afreeca, we really just don't know what will happen in the end, most Twitch Yeocam so far get less viewers then on Twitch , even the ones who jumped to Afreeca early now only get about 1k or less now after the initial hype train. The competition on Afreeca is crazy, even huge booba Miss Maxim Korea babbyang.g struggles to get 500 viewers most nights and that's why I heard a lot of them are dabbling with other things like Fantrie, Youtube skits or the whole excel broadcasting thing.

Chzzk still has problems with their video player and is still in Beta, but so far the 19+ content & ToS is better then I expected from Naver and Sorammmm has been doing really well with her weekly streams, but still less viewers then on Twitch due to almost no foreign viewers. Sooflower and Winter also did a ouya Bikini stream in Bangkok on there recently with Winter showing underboob in a loose bikini. Will be interesting to see if they will really allow the Yeocam community to continue to grow and compete with Afreeca or roll it back and be like a smaller Korean only green version of Twitch.

Last edited:

SailorJack

Bathwater Drinker
Mar 16, 2022
So true as we've said before. I have noticed some like Beddle and Sora do more dancing and ouya content now which is nice but they dont wear quite the sexy outfits Korean speaking ouya streamers wear. That girl Plumy could do some great ouya dancing streams she's got a pretty face and great body but her streams are 95% just boring chit chat with parasocial viewers. Her cosplays are very good btw.

On the topic of yeocam ouya streamers on Twitch I never understood why they didnt exploit twitch's hot tub/pools/beaches category loophole for their streams. You only have to put some kiddie pool or even green screen with some water in the background and you can wear damn near any outfit you want in that category, instead of worrying about whether a little underboob or butt cheek is showing wearing 3 bras and safety shorts bullshit lol. Big missed opportunity. Still dont understand Twitch's no underboob or butt cheek unless in the pool category rule. Stupid ass rule that they arbitrarily enforce but yeah they should just use the pool category to wear what they want.