Discussion Twitch Korea shutting down

cnti

Tier 2 Sub
Jun 13, 2022
0fya082315al84db03fa9bf467e3.png
Woohankyung just launched a poll to solicit fans' opinions on which platform to broadcast live in the future.
Voting is for her internal reference only
Voting is anonymously, there are three options:
1. chzzk
2, afreeca
3, kick

Booty Hunter 28

Bathwater Drinker
Mar 14, 2022
Please, Log in or Register to view quotes
Where?

1. Chzzk has potential, but still way too early in beta and 19+ verification is a pain in the ass
2. Afreeca ton of viewers & easy access for foreigners to view 19+ streams, but streaming culture is a bit toxic & sus
3. Kick still has a ton of potential & high payout, but VERY big viewbotting problem & the reputation of the site is being ruined by a few toxic IRL streamers

Overall Afreeca seems like best choice, but she should really just multistream on all 3 and just mod more people.

mkcy55

Lurker
Mar 4, 2023
Afreeca culture sucks. I've seen a few comments in this thread saying "oh even small streamers make bank on afreeca" yeah thats because of the culture. The things you are expected to do as a BJ to your biggest donators are stressful. It's the main reason a lot of yeocams even went to twitch in the first place, and even after the shutdown went to chzzk.

One of the biggest cases I've seen is probably Winter. She left Afreeca for Twitch because she couldn't do those things anymore. She even explicitly explained it in her platform move message.

On Afreeca the CEO controls the stream not the BJ, you are basically slave to whatever they request. If you don't you lose a lot of money, but the biggest thing they lose is their reputation. If you stop listening to your CEOs and what they request you basically get blacklisted. Smaller BJs are easier to exploit as a big donator because they are more likely to comply with what you request in order to keep the money flowing.

That is probably the biggest complaint with Afreeca. Also the chatting on Afreeca is pretty bad when you really get down to it. Twitch isn't much better but since Afreeca is yeocam centric it's definitely worse. It can do a lot of mental damage to them.

On Twitch, the streamer controls the stream, you are allowed to do whatever the hell you want concerning your community. Of course, a lot of yeocams like to stay within some similarities of Afreeca, but the biggest difference is that you don't have to worry about doing 1:1 private chats, or 1:1 dates on Twitch.

Chzzk is basically a Korean carbon copy of Twitch granted it has to work out some kinks and shit, especially for foreign viewers. So the community transfer from twitch to chzzk is like 1 to 1, and that means the culture is basically the same.

I will say that some twitch streamers that moved to Afreeca managed to keep remnants of twitch culture alive in their communities, but we'll see how that pans out in the future. I highly doubt they'll be able to keep it that way.

Anyway that's basically what every yeocam has contemplated when deciding what platform to go to. Lilka, Hankyung, Haxxnini, and a lot of others have all said the same thing.

Dutchy420

Bathwater Drinker
Apr 8, 2022
For us foreigners Chzzk is not good... the stream keeps lagging for some streamers (and not for others) even at 360P...

Kick is trash.. and so is its viewership, so I hope this isn't taken too serious.

That means for us foreigners... Afreeca is the way to go... stream quality good, donation options available, just the Afreeca crowd that might not be receptive to us... but if WoohanKyung (or insert any other streamer name) manages her chat... that should be no problem.

Thats my 2 cents anyway... so please nudge her towards Afreeca if you can...

wagnerjokes

Fan
May 3, 2022
This poll is so dumb. If she wants to stream on Twitch/Chzzk instead of Twitch/Afreeca, then just go for it. Don't post a poll on just Naver fan cafe and use that to see which platform people want. I'm surprised that 30% of people are even choosing Afreeca on that poll, since most people who use Naver cafe would also have a chzzk account/watch it. If she wanted a fair representation of all her fans, she would have linked the poll to her instagram/twitch/afreeca page, but nah just a biased sample is what we get.

Edit: I wonder if anyone will post this poll on her afreeca page and if that will change/impact the voting haha.

capsulecor

Bathwater Drinker
Mar 14, 2022
kick is trash but it has some good things going.

Very laxed content moderation. = more risky behavior more slips. only 1 day bans.

Funded by gambling = never going broke, twitch and others are still losing money like crazy

and lastly you donate your streamer is getting most of the profit. not some investor at the top of the food chain.

Kick just needs the streamer to have strong mods on alert at all times to kick the ugly trolls.

xestry

Bathwater Drinker
Aug 1, 2022
Another thing I noticed with the whole NPE thing, is that the only ones who actually kept the sub button are the ones who did the onboarding 1 or 2 weeks before the shutdown. The ones who were slow doing it, lost the button and still haven’t got it back.

I can see some potential drama developing here if they still can’t get the sub button back anytime soon, and probably a load of them will want to leave NPE (and then afterwards, leave Twitch entirely). I am curious what’s going on with this situation, and if Ninibae even knows what’s happening, or if she’s also clueless about it all, and is still promising people they’ll get their sub button/cheers back when that might not be the case.

koskos

Casual
Mar 11, 2022
She will be streaming on Twitch too so foreigners arent really being accounted for unless you are one of her oilers.

Highly doubt she will pick Afreeca. She already said she thinks its boring, doesnt want to join a group, and doesn'y like the whole "CEO controls the stream" shit.

She will probably choose Chzzk. She already was leaning towards it long ago. Already said she is going to tone down on the yeocam content when she returns.

Kick is a fine option that everyone just shits on because of gambling (while they spin roulette on Toonation) or toxic community (Twitch was the same way when JC first took off).

wagnerjokes

Fan
May 3, 2022
If her prior actions are any indication she’s going to go to whatever site is going to make her the most money. She did it with Hakuna, she’s considering Kick for the same reason. And I have a feeling afreeca is in the conversation for the same reason.

If she’s willing to overlook all of the issues about hakuna, then the issues on afreeca wouldn’t stop her.

Last edited:

Dutchy420

Bathwater Drinker
Apr 8, 2022
NPE was sus from the very start... slapping their new signups with a gag order until they were spotlighted on the NPE marketing site.
NPE only cares about NPE is obvious... come on.. the only obligation of a streamer is to his/her audience... not to some money grabbing agency.

Dutchy420

Bathwater Drinker
Apr 8, 2022
Dunno what she will do.. its up to her... just wrote down what I hoped she will do... she's a true gem.

Disagree about Kick... Kick's main problem is its audience/viewers it attracted by harbouring all the outcast/degen/debauchery streamers..
Korean streamers have nothing to gain from such an audience.

xestry

Bathwater Drinker
Aug 1, 2022
Yeah I don't really care at all about 90% of the streamers they signed up, I'm just kind of curious about how the whole thing plays out more than anything. I guess none of us really know for sure how it's operating, but it does feel a bit like it was something Nini set up for her friends, and then once she made sure they were all definitely ok, she's just signed up a bunch of other Koreans but hasn't bothered supporting them in the same way or making sure they did the onboarding correctly/on time. Maybe she is doing more behind the scenes, but doesn't seem like it.

Reactions: Dutchy420