MEMORIAL DAY - JOIN BRAZZERS FOR FREE - CLICK HERE!
Discussion - Twitch Korea shutting down | Page 20 | SimpCity Forums

Discussion Twitch Korea shutting down

ferwoo

Tier 2 Sub
Jul 6, 2022
0fya082315al84db03fa9bf467e3.png
hold on a minute, isnt most kr viewers donating to their streamers via 3rd party app like twip or whatever. Does demonetization impacted them as much? sooflower is still streaming in twtich. i heard kr viewers always donate via 3rd party app. It isnt really doomsday as they claimed. in the end, it always about number. if they cant get a better deal than twitch, they better stay in twitch.

lmao, this issue is being overblown. so, the biggest impact is, kr streamers cant get donos from international simp viewers :MEGALUL:

Last edited:
Reactions: SailorJack

truthworld

Tier 2 Sub
Mar 6, 2023
Please, Log in or Register to view quotes
she had a lots of backlog that haven't finish like preparing for photobook and super private photoshoot with youchi and etc. so i think leaving suni group lessen the burden and lessen the backlog that haven't finish, mostly because of persona reason. think she is going to continue staying as streamer because she got more ample and free time instead of having to go to practice every single day which clashes with her supposed schedule

truthworld

Tier 2 Sub
Mar 6, 2023
international fans can still donate through Twip and Toonation. The expected doomsday that the koreans thought is the channel is not accessible or it was removed completely from Twitch. but i doubt Twitch would do that because removing channel from database would be costly

idk why you said they cannot get donation from international fans. if international simps can't find ways to donate to them, then that validates them as lazy simps

• Brainlet
Reactions: ferwoo

Dutchy420

Bathwater Drinker
Apr 8, 2022
Anyone know how Hachu(bby) solved it ? She's not NPE as far as I know but still has her sub buttons...

Rakhaetz

Lurker
May 26, 2022
She is flying back to Korea in a week but wants to move in with Mizkif permanently. She got a lawyer just a couple of days ago to try to get her a visa but I think that can take a long time.
That's not enough, she does not have a visa, only way that would work is if they listed the gym as the owner of her account but I doubt they would do that.

SailorJack

Bathwater Drinker
Mar 16, 2022

This is what I want to know. I keep hearing Korean speaking streams hardly got Twitch subs or bits and mostly got their money through Twip and other third party donations. So why are they all leaving? I thought the real issue was the monetization and having a contract with Twitch, if they're not contracted with Twitch what are they worried about? Even international viewers could still donate to them.

Not sure why those that supposedly didn't rely on Twitch money left. Anyone know? Did they all get a bag from these Korean sites or was Twitch money actually a significant part of their income despite people saying otherwise?

Edit: I'm guessing it's the part where CEO talked about possibly having to ban Korean IPs which would cause a huge viewership dropoff cause not enough would use a VPN and then you have Korea already taking the Twitch app off of their app stores.

Last edited:

ferwoo

Tier 2 Sub
Jul 6, 2022
my observation as below:

sooflower- she has more korean viewers than global viewers. it doesnt make sense for her to leave twitch coz most her korean viewers already in twitch.
golanyule- compare to sooflower, she has alot less korean viewers and kinda relies on donos from global viewers, at least 50/50. Afaik, she decided to leave twitch.
jinnytty/hachu (US based)- livelihood completely relying on global viewers.
woohanyk- i believe she has/had hakuna contract to stream there. In twitch she has 50/50, I think possibly she will be streaming or multistreaming in twitch

Surely global viewers can dono to these streamers via 3rd party twip, but very likely they will NOT do so.

btw, who are those that do not rely on twitch money, left twitch?

Last edited:

Tengri

Tier 2 Sub
Dec 31, 2022
The amusing thing about the whole story is, NPE members pay taxes on Twitch income in the US. The US and South Korea have a double tax treaty, that prevents them from being taxed again in South Korea.
So South Korea not only loses the payments from Twitch to the ISPs, but also tax income from these streamers. Well done Korean government.

Reactions: SailorJack

SailorJack

Bathwater Drinker
Mar 16, 2022
That's the narrative going around that Korean speaking streamers on Twitch barely had any Twitch revenue because they hardly had any subscriptions or bit donations and that their viewers pretty much only used third party donations. I'm not sure how true it is. Also not sure what the twitch ad revenue was like over on the Korean side.

xestry

Bathwater Drinker
Aug 1, 2022
To me it's a no-brainer for them to just multi-stream to Twitch alongside Afreeca/Chzzk (whichever they're doing) since Twitch is still the best gateway for them to draw in overseas viewers + potential new oilers. Their Korean viewers can still watch them on Afreeca/Chzzk (or still on Twitch I suppose with a VPN).

However I can understand that some of the streamers probably feel they've been fucked over by Twitch and feel like they are not wanted there anymore, so they're gonna choose to not stream at all on Twitch even if they have the choice.

There's also probably a few that have exclusivity contracts with Chzzk, Afreeca, or Hakuna I guess, so won't stream to Twitch for that reason.

Probably some others (on Afreeca) that don't want to be tied down by Twitch's ToS since it's obviously a lot more restrictive than Afreeca.

I think next few weeks will be interesting. I think some will realise they may as well keep streaming to Twitch for the first reason I mentioned, even if they don't have their subs/bits button. And then possibly some others that have left completely will probably get a bigger viewer/income dropoff than they were expecting, and then try and come back to Twitch.

SailorJack

Bathwater Drinker
Mar 16, 2022

It's a lot more than just Korean booba streamers leaving but point taken. I usually only ever watch English speaking streamers on Twitch so I'm not that familiar with how much Korean speaking streamers made from Twitch money compared to Twip and Toonation and such, just that the narrative is that Korean speaking Korean streams didn't bring in much Twitch revenue. Wouldn't the Taiwan oilers and other non-Korean donors be able to donate through third party instead of using Twitch bits and subscribing?

SailorJack

Bathwater Drinker
Mar 16, 2022
I'm not a fan of how Twitch runs things but in this situation it's wild they would blame Twitch when it's Korean companies trying to shakedown Twitch, trying to charge Twitch exorbitant amounts of money, and at the same time supposedly these Korean streamers were also more costly due to their high use of third party donations and low use of Twitch's monetary ecosystem. Twitch would gladly have them stay if they weren't a financial burden.

The multistream idea does seem like it would be smart for them to do.

ky633

Tier 2 Sub
Mar 13, 2022
Is there a compilation of clips from all the korean streamers who went out with a bang last night? Heard everyone was just breaking TOS left and right right before the end

Tengri

Tier 2 Sub
Dec 31, 2022
From my perspective, Afreeca.tv and Chzzk & Co are nice if you just want to watch. But if you don't speak Korean, chatting and interacting with the streamer is anything but fun. There is also no real community among the viewers.
I think many of the viewers who also like to chat, will soon lose interest in Afreecatv & Co. And those who still stream on Twitch, have the chance to retain these viewers.