MEMORIAL DAY - JOIN BRAZZERS FOR FREE - CLICK HERE!
Discussion - Twitch Korea shutting down | Page 8 | SimpCity Forums

Discussion Twitch Korea shutting down

xestry

Bathwater Drinker
Aug 1, 2022
0fya082315al84db03fa9bf467e3.png
Please, Log in or Register to view quotes
maybe she is also frustrated she is not pulling the numbers of afreeca that she was expecting? maybe i've only noticed her when it's been quieter for her, but i noticed she was getting in the 400-600 viewers on afreeca, which is kind of the opposite of what most twitch streamers going there have experienced (viewer drop off compared to viewer increases).

wagnerjokes

Fan
May 3, 2022
Chzzk implemented 19+, similar maybe lower level than afreeca. However, you need to verify your account to access 19+ content, unlike afreeca. Afreeca > Chzzk for foreigners based on this alone. Also, Chzzk is basically unwatchable for me, constant lags and buffers anyway.

Reactions: myownfairlady

Dutchy420

Bathwater Drinker
Apr 8, 2022
Seems like that kind of applies to all Korean streamer platforms... Afreeca has copy paste disabled in their chatbox so you can't post translations, FlexTV and PandaTV are 100% inaccessable for foreigners (require Korean ID access) and well.. Chzzk/Naver has the Facebook backdoor access for foreigners, but who knows how long that will stay intact...

Tengri

Tier 2 Sub
Dec 31, 2022
Afreeca has announced that it will become more foreigner-friendly in February/March. We will see how far this will go. But it certainly won't reach Twitch level to use.
Creating a Naver account is easy. We'll just have to wait, and see how payment services for foreigners work on the platform. As a search engine, Naver is a very profitable advertising and sales platform in South Korea. Gaming and streaming fit in well with this. But I don't believe, that Naver thinks that 19+ content on Chzzk is a good fit. The platform will be at least as conservative as Twitch in Korea.

wagnerjokes

Fan
May 3, 2022
Making an account is easy, but you still need to send Naver a copy of your license or passport to age verify for 19+, it's not like Afreeca where you can access 19+ by making an account.

I doubt Afreeca would be more foreign-friendly for Westerners. One because Afreeca already has a US headquarters in California, the global Afreeca department is basically a separate company from the main Korean version. They make different decisions, changes don't impact each other, and hold different events. The global Afreeca and Korean Afreeca seem to have different strategies, gameplan, and operate on their own. Also, they announced that they are mainly focusing on South East Asia when they went in depth about going global. I can't fault them for that decision though. With how popular Twitch is in the West, money would be better spent on reaching areas where Twitch is less popular like Vietnam, Thailand, etc

Last edited:

wagnerjokes

Fan
May 3, 2022
True, Naver doesn't need to do business outside of Korea. Naver is a portal whose main focus is creating an apple like ecosystem for Koreans. Their goal is to get every Korean integrated into the Naver ecosystem. They want everyone to use Naver pay, Naver maps, Naver shop, Naver gaming, and all the other Naver services. No point in reaching out to foreigners if they can't/won't use like 90% of Naver. It's a waste of money for Naver with not much upside for Naver to make things easier for foreigners.

Reactions: BlondieBlonde

Booty Hunter 28

Bathwater Drinker
Mar 14, 2022
Yeah I've seen that translation in chat and on Korean forums when they talked about AV being banned in Korea too :MEGALUL: Think they were really hoping for PandaTV/Flex 19+ rules, but knew deep down it was not gonna happen with Naver.

Please, Log in or Register to see links and images

Can't watch Sooflower on Chzzk :PepeWhy: