Question Method of auto-downloading Reddit posts from a specific sub or user?

FeetInMouth

Tier 1 Sub
Apr 21, 2023
0fya082315al84db03fa9bf467e3.png
I'm looking for a way of automatically downloading posts from a specific reddit sub or user, as they're posted.

There are some users who tend to delete their posts pretty quickly for some reason, if they don't instantly get a bunch of upvotes. I'm hoping I can catch them before they delete. Is there any kind of bot or script or something I can leave running on one of my servers that'll automatically check for updates on a given user/sub, and download/timestamp them accordingly, without just ripping the entire content every single time?

Hell, even a basic script I can set up as a chronjob would be fine.

sexyegirlsaccount

Bathwater Drinker
Mar 15, 2022
Please, Log in or Register to see links and images
is the way to check for any new posts.
What you'll have difficulty with is getting all the actual content, because not all images/videos are uploaded to reddit, people upload to video clips to X, images to Y, dumb memes to imgur, etc, and the reddit post merely links to it. So you can save the posts and the links and so on that way at least.

Consoomer99

Lurker
Mar 30, 2023
If you could find a good reddit downloader, you could check setup a cron to check rss feed for updates every 30 mins then run the downloader on the users entire profile when an update occurs. Kind of scuffed, but it would work...Or run a downloader on the specific post if you can find one that supports all the different websites that users upload to and can parse the links.

Unsure of what a good reddit downloader is atm and would love some input from other users. I used to use RipMe, but the fork doesn't support a few common websites that people upload content to like redgifs, so the rips are only partial.

Last edited by a moderator:

sexyegirlsaccount

Bathwater Drinker
Mar 15, 2022
Please, Log in or Register to view quotes
I have worked with youtube's rss feeds with mere seconds between requests and not had any problems. 30 minutes for reddit should be no problem. I think as long as the website isn't turtling behind cloudflare or captchas you are good to do. That is basically what rss is for nowadays, giving you what you want, because they know the alternative is that you'll scrape big webpages just for tiny info.