Question Help finding Alternative to vpn

n0n0

Tier 1 Sub
Mar 12, 2022
0fya082315al84db03fa9bf467e3.png
Hi everyone,
there is talk in my region that vpn will be block. Is there other ways to access blocked sites

Reactions: Korrosive

yticpmis234

Bathwater Drinker
Jun 3, 2023
Keep a copy of the Tor Browser Bundle handy as a backup

Please, Log in or Register to see links and images

Nothing is stopping you from running your own VPN on port 443 or 53. short of deep packet inspection by the ISP ( which they already do ) no one knows what you are up to. ISPs usually just block the IP addresses of big known VPN providers. If you run your own vpn on AWS / Azure they are not going to start blocking AWS / Azure thus breaking a lot of the internet just to stop you.

Check out
and some walk-through videos on youtube

Reactions: n0n0 and sjiggz

yticpmis234

Bathwater Drinker
Jun 3, 2023
These are two options for your own vpn , both under $5
Own VPN here means, you are the only one using it, you own the logs, you can wipe it at the end of every day and start from scratch the next day.

both these do the same as ALGO , but in a slightly more user friendly manner. ALGO and similar scripts are better because, when you reset the VPN ( turn it off and on again ), the script pretty much deletes everything that it had set up in the "cloud" and starts from scratch, including keys ( most keys ).
  • The cheapest $5 shared CPU , Nanode 1 GB will suffice as long as its just one user, you.
  • The cheapest digitalocean droplet you can swing works

Plenty of walk through videos on youtube. The thing you need to choose is if you wanna use WireGuard or OpenVPN ... Its like picking Vanilla ice cream or Chocolate ice cream , at the end of the day both are ice cream. Both will be detected by the ISP / Government if they really start looking. Only you can decide whats your threat model.

AWS or Azure is more expensive but every app / service use them, so your traffic gets lost in the crowd.

I recommend listening to this episode of the privacy podcast which focuses about problems with VPNs just to understand what I mean by threat model

If you are really up to something nefarious , don't. But if you want real privacy, don't set up an AWS account with your own private VPN that has all the secure bells and whistles, but pay for it all with your own credit card :KEKWlaugh:, use a gift card from the gas station two counties over , that you paid for in cash.

Good luck , and if anyone has a better explanation or suggestions please post them.

Last edited:

Fan
Mar 17, 2022
I agree with everything yticpmis234 said, but you can get a free Oracle VPS without using a creditcard. That's how I got mine set up. If you have the technical know how, you can do it that way without paying a penny. If I remember correctly, you can get 4 CPU's, 32 GB of RAM and 200 GB SSD storage for free, for life (we will see how long before they come back to that).
Mind you however, that the 4 CPU's are ARM based, you your selection of software/containers will be more limited then with an AMD or Intel system.
Luckily, most containers are now compatible with ARM due to Raspberry Pi being very popular. Things like a Wireguard container run fine on ARM64 for example.
Do note however that the IP that has been assigned to my VPS, has been blocked by Camwhores. So I don't know if what yticpmis234 said is 100% true that some of these specific sites wouldn't block Azure/AWS/GCS/Oracle/etc.
I circumvent some of the blocking by using some of the (free) VPN solutions listed in this thread on the forum:
ProtonVPN is decent, but incredibly slow at times.

Good luck and let us know what you ended up using.

dusk819

Casual
Mar 14, 2022
looking for something thats works for china, I have express , nord, proton . All paid and sadly none of them work. Does anyone have something to help?