SPRING BREAK - JOIN BRAZZERS FOR FREE! - CLICK HERE
Question - Best tool to download from instagram? | Page 4 | SimpCity Forums

Question Best tool to download from instagram?

• Emails and alerts are now back, you will need to visit unread threads in your Watched Threads list before new alerts are sent.

bazingerZ

Tier 2 Sub
Oct 26, 2022
0fya082315al84db03fa9bf467e3.png
Instagram will ban accounts downloading pictures, probably using traffic meassuring and other AI methods.
I've been using instaloader (python) it works perfectly but gets you banned in less than a minute.

As OP said here, creating burner accounts on mayor sites (social networks, email) is getting impossible without using real phone numbers. Burner SMS online services works 1 on 100 times, they detect those phone numbers and blacklists them. Burner emails are hard to get working too, they blacklist all they find and require a "mayor brand" email (gmail, yahoo, outlook, etc).
This should rise a concern for all of you: they can see and check a lot of stuff if they want.
Think of this when having a real account on any service.

For NON-PRIVATE profiles you can use this site:
Please, Log in or Register to see links and images

If you want to burn an account to get a partial profile (will stop middle download, unless the profile has little media):

Don't be afraid, its not "supercomplex developers stuff" you must install python (download installer execute, tick "set PATH..", next, next, next) and to use the app, you run it from your CMD, it only takes 2 arguments (the "-things" after instaloader). But remember your account will probably be banned, VPN or not.

Unless the guys that develop these tools start taking a look at the core problem (which is getting burner accounts) I'm afraid that instagram farming will have to be done manually.

Obicase

Bathwater Drinker
Mar 16, 2022
Yo, two months ago I posted on this thread to report that two of my instagram accounts had gotten banned and I was wondering if it was because they were "fake-looking" accounts with not enough subscribers/posts or if it was because instagram had managed to detect gallery-dl, which I had used for months with no problem. I had no way of knowing since instagram didn't provide a reason for the ban at the time.

I checked again a week later and instagram had finally given me the reason why my accounts were banned : use of botting/external software. Which means they did detect gallery-dl.

I went on the gallery-dl github to report that, and the dev explained that the likely reason I got detected is because my user-agent in my gallery-dl config file was outdated.

Turns out, he was totally right. I replaced the user-agent in my config file with one that matched my browser, started using gallery-dl again, and now I have been using gallery-dl again for about a month, downloading hundreds of files a day, with no problem.

So, I highly recommend using gallery-dl to download instagram content. It is the best software in my experience, you can automate everything : gallery-dl can automatically make separate folders for each account you download and separate folders for stories/highlights/posts/reels ; you can customize the filenames to include the date, the original filename, the description, etc. ; and if you want you can even download metadata in separate text files such as descriptions, comments, likes, etc.

Oh, and lastly, it's not just limited to instagram. It can download files from just about any website you'd want to download from, and again, everything is neatly and automatically sorted just the way you want it. For exemple I also use gallery-dl to download from twitter, vsco, reddit, kemono, etc.

However I would not recommend to use gallery-dl with your main account. It is against instagram's rules so if they ever figure out how to detect it again, you will be banned. Make another account for it. In my experience, every other software I used to download from instagram got me banned almost instantly after downloading more than 100 files, gallery-dl is the only one that they can't detect, so it's still the safest.

I will post a guide on how to use gallery-dl in my next post, I figured it's probably better to separate it into its own post.

Obicase

Bathwater Drinker
Mar 16, 2022
Edit : Disclaimer : I am not responsible for any damage that may happen while following this guide. Read every step and make sure you understand them before doing anything.

Here's a quick how-to guide to use gallery-dl (for instagram) :

1. Download and install python (make sure to add python to path during install, it's a checkbox to tick)
2. Download the latest
, I use the portable .exe but you can also install it to use the "gallery-dl" command anywhere on your computer.
3. Create a folder C:\Users\[user]\AppData\Roaming\gallery-dl
4. Download the
with default values
5. Put that file in the folder you created in step 3 and rename it to config.json (make sure you enabled the option to change file extensions)
6. Open config.json with notepad, ctrl+F "insta" to go to the instagram options, and use these options :
Code:
Please, Log in or Register to view codes content!
I will explain in detail what these options do later.
7. In the main extractor options, all the way at the top of the config file, make sure your "user-agent" matches your browser's user agent. You can check what your browser user agent is on
. Simply copy everything between quotation marks and replace what you have in your config file. It should look like this :
Code:
8. Make another browser profile. For example you can make another one in firefox by running "Firefox.exe -p", which will open the profile manager.
9. On this secondary browser profile, log in the instagram account you want to use to download from gallery-dl. This means that you will be able to download from private profiles that this account has access to (follows). Do not use your main account, the risk of getting banned is not zero.
10. Install a brower extension that lets you export cookies to a .txt file. I use
on Firefox.
11. Using this extension, export cookies for instagram.com. This will give you a file called "cookies-instagram-com.txt". You can put that file anywhere.
12. The command line (in cmd) you will use to download is :
Code:
I recommend saving that command line in a txt file somewhere so you don't have to type it every time.
Note that if you're using the portable gallery-dl.exe, you will need to cd to the folder that contains the .exe before using the command.
You can use that command line to download anything from instagram. For example : "gallery-dl --cookies "C:\[your path that leads to the cookies file]\cookies-instagram-com.txt"
".
This will download every post, reel, and the avatar of those two profiles. You can put as many urls in a row separated by a space as you want. You can add links to stories to download stories, links to highlights to download highlights, or even
to download ALL the highlights of a user.

That's it ! copy/paste as many urls as you want and watch gallery-dl download them.

Regarding the options in step 6, the options I gave will do this :
- for an account url, it will download every post, reel, and the avatar of that account.
- the program will wait 8 to 12 seconds between each url and 0.5 to 2 secs between each file. This is to reduce the risk that instagram detects you.
- the program will download videos.
- the program will create a folder named instagram, and within that folder, a folder for each account. For example "C:/yourpath/Instagram/sophiadiamond".
- the program will skip files already downloaded before, and will abort the download of the current url if 25 consecutive files were skipped. This is to reduce the number of requests to instagram, which reduces the risk to be detected.
- the avatar/posts/reels will be together in the account folder. Stories and highlights will have their own folder within the account folder. For example "C:/yourpath/Instagram/sophiadiamond/Stories".

Note that I don't use any options to change the filenames, with these options, files will have the default filename as it is on the instagram servers. If you want to customize filenames, for example to include the date in them, refer to gallery-dl
, or search on reddit... I'm sure somebody already asked how to do just that on r/DataHoarders.

Last edited:

Beakwood

Bathwater Drinker
Mar 11, 2022
Obicase
I was wondering if this was the case with also instaloader. Since, the config I was using was certainly outdated. This is probably going to last for about a good 6 months maybe a year a most before it's banned, sadly. Since, facebook owns insta. I had a burner account primarily for browsing fb and that was deleted for their reasoning 'suspicious activity' where all I did was ONLY browsing. No messaging, no posting, just browsing and eventually I received the ban. If I was to speculate, it could be due to changing IP address every so often within' a year and using that account or the third party tool I used ONCE to download TWO things on fb, called hitomi_downloader v3.8, and I did use that account to do so. Gallery-dl is a nice tool, one I never thought would last for IG, thanks for the heads-up.

Last edited:

Beakwood

Bathwater Drinker
Mar 11, 2022

jasonvorheeees

Tier 3 Sub
Mar 12, 2022
Anyway to automatically download lives specifically anymore? The old liam cottle Story-saver app doesn't work anymore with the security checks unable to be done and the banning of accounts trying to even login after a couple of times is a bummer.

Insta lives are impossible to get unless you're there in the right place at the right time now.

Recordking

Tier 3 Sub
Apr 5, 2023
Please, Log in or Register to view quotes

I got banned like 4 months ago for download pictures from like 10 accounts quickly now I can not recover my account and I have tried like 5 to 8 times with no luck. Like 4 or 5 years I downloaded 100gb worth of images in 3 to 5 hrs without getting band IMO now just download images from 2 or 3 account a day any more and you will get banned and you will never be able to recover your account.

Reactions: Hailinc Steinloud