Question Best tool to download from instagram?

Cockflesh Golem

Ophélie Bau's Human Seat
Mar 11, 2022
0fya082315al84db03fa9bf467e3.png
So as someone who's been using JDownloader for ages but has gotten SO sick of all the account blocking nonsense, is there any way to reliably avoid it? Is there any reason or rhyme to the blocking that people have picked up beyond "don't download heaps of stuff" where the heaps is left undefined? Would, say, using it in conjunction with another program (like StorySaver which seems to download the files in the same quality as JDownloader does) and only getting individual pics/vids/reels/posts with JDownloader make enough of a difference if you're tending to download fewer than ten posts a day if you download anything? Does frequently changing the login cookies make a difference? I'm so fucking sick of all the shit but the alternatives come with significant trade-offs (lower quality, difficulties with posts with multiple pics/vids, private accounts, etc.) and as a result don't seem much better.

Reactions: Bolather

Hashball

Bathwater Drinker
Mar 11, 2022
My suggestion for you is to stop downloading for 48 hrs. Log into your account to see that it works without limits.
Then download & count the number of files videos/pictures you have downloaded exclude the txt files.
I would suggest to start off small.
Repeat the process until you get blocked
It’s important to download in a small time frame , don’t download & wait for a couple of hrs then download again. This way you would know the limit for your normal process of downloading.
Wait 48 hrs & repeat.
This way you would have rough idea of how much downloading will get you blocked.
It is also depends of the length of video / overall size of files downloaded.
As a rule of thumb downloading 2500 images or more will probably get you blocked.
Work your way up & find the sweet spot.
You can also look at the overall mb’s downloaded.
Personally i would limit myself to 3 profiles
Or 1500 files
If it’s only one profile i would even try 2300
When downloading single posts the rules change & i don’t recommend doing that with jdownloader because i feel it will lead you to a ban much faster than reasonable bulk download.

Reactions: Cockflesh Golem

Cockflesh Golem

Ophélie Bau's Human Seat
Mar 11, 2022
Please, Log in or Register to view quotes

Thanks for the in-depth answer. Taking note of what you've said, I have two questions.

1. Is the 48 hrs you mention (or something near that) a kind of "reset" period of notice being taken in relation to all the numbers of images, vids, etc? Would I be correct to assume that "exceeding 2500 images in 48hrs is the guaranteed way to get banned so avoiding that sort of downloading is all you need to do" is a correct statement? There's evidently a threshold as you're not banned instantly, but is it just an amount of downloads irrespective of how long a period they're spaced out over, or can you fly under the radar by downloading not only a small amount but over a more spaced-out period?

2. Going on from the first question, why is it that single posts change the rules (especially if it's a negligible amount of downloading as I intend)?

capita211

Tier 2 Sub
Mar 19, 2022
Milanote for photos, VideoDownloadhelper for videos (both are google chrome extensions)

Hashball

Bathwater Drinker
Mar 11, 2022
Please, Log in or Register to view quotes

from my own experience things tend to reset after 24hrs BUT... if you downloaded near your limit let's say the limit is 2500 & you downloaded 2300, you may get the "unusual activity" much sooner than 2500 the next day. if you continue to download after that unusual activity warning, the path to getting blocked is greatly reduced so there is also a factor of how much you abuse your privilege to download without consequences. This is why i try to login to my account after a bulk download to see if it triggered anything. Sometimes i just download small profiles & get that warning so it may be because things i did in the last 48 hrs. Getting a "clean slate" is a good place to start if You are trying to find a balance when the rules are not clear. You have to test the waters yourself & risking a block which will be temporary the first & probably second time.

It's quite funny but you may think of it like a thief breaking in & taking stuff from am apartment. If you take too much stuff someone may see you loading all that stuff. If you take fewer things but stay there for too long coming back & forth you may also get caught. If you come there the next day you greatly increase to chances of getting caught.
Instagram has pretty smart web developers so it's not that simple to find the sweet spot.
my methodology went like this...
I personally started with downloading big profiles. I know for a FACT you won't get to 5000 images\videos in a single session without getting flagged as i tried to download a profile with 5400 several times & never achieved it.
This is also bandwidth dependent , getting as much as you can as fast as you can will net you the highest "yield"
so first figure out roughly how much you can download in a single hit (you will get notified that downloads has stopped working)
then wait idealy for 48hrs dial it back & try again. you will find the limit this way & for you it may be diffferent from me, this is why you need to test it yourself.
get a number you know is safe to download for 48 hrs.
Take that number & try again with 24 hrs delay.
you also need to see the size of the downloads since some profiles are more video heavy.
let's say you came up with 1200 files & 600mb the next thing is to try again the next day & if you are not getting the unusual activity warning then you have found that limit.

If you don't want to bother with all the above you can just choose profiles download them one after the other until downloads stops. then wait 24-48 try to login to with the steps required to activate the account again. wait another 24-48 hrs so you won't get instantly banned again then bulk download again until getting blocked. If you do 2 serious violations within 24 hrs then you may risk losing the account or getting banned for more than 48 hrs.

Single posts change the rules because it's harder to check for "rules" that way. also it's alot of work that way & missing the point. you may aswell use web based solutions.

the thing is that you are risking it even by downloading single posts because you will eventually get noticed, there will be a limit to that also which i did not check so in this case you have to figure it out yourself. for me i prefer to download 1-3 profiles every 24-48 dependent on warrning , amount of content (above or below 1gb) , the amount of time it took to download them. trying not to exceed 2500 files unless i'm willing to take that 24 block.

Annihilus

Send the Horde
Mar 12, 2022
Not a profile scraper nor an add on, but Igram works 90% of the time unless the person has several (20+) stories per that day, where it'll give an error.

Always works for posts though, so long as you copied the link. It gives multiple Quality options.

Please, Log in or Register to see links and images

Posting the link to one Story will display all their Stories for the day. Posting a link to a multi-picture/vid Post will have all of those pictures/videos displayed for download.

Last edited:

poemfrizzy

Gym bitches and Boutine LA babes
Dec 21, 2022
While it might be a slow method, its worked for me.
I have been doing CTRL + I using Firefox (unsure of how other browsers are) this was fine for videos until recently

Reactions: mark0pollo

Theytime

Lurker
Mar 12, 2022
Is there any other way to save Instagram Live than record the screen? I used Pyinstalive before, but it stopped working a while ago.

Beavisguy

Lurker
Dec 22, 2022
Watch out do not download a crap out of content at one go around they will ban your account. I downloaded only like 10gb to 12gb worth of content and my account was banned now I can not get it unbanned.

Hashball

Bathwater Drinker
Mar 11, 2022
OK today i got insta banned for using jdownloader. i will further invastigate but it seems that bulk downloading will not be viable with jdownloader

Abernecio

Lurker
Nov 7, 2022
Does anyone if there's any tool that downloads the highlights' cover photo?
If you go through Inspect Element, you'll only get the 150x150 version (maybe that's the limit, but who knows)

WaffleGoat

Tier 3 Sub
Mar 16, 2022
IG Downloader extension now under new ownership

Bulk downloads, video downloads and the correct name of the user being download is now all fixed, video stories seem broke still
Probably still have to be careful not to download too much at once to avoid bans but useful for snagging

tentman

Bathwater Drinker
Mar 12, 2022
Anyone else getting redirected to captcha for suspicious activity?? has happened more than 10 times today. I am not even doing anything. no comment, no like, no posts. just saving content.

edit:cleaned all browsing data. its working fine now.

Last edited:
Reactions: nicktheprick

gordaperodepilada

Bathwater Drinker
Aug 9, 2022
I do believe as of now the best way to download from Instagram is using
. Since it's built on top of the original Instagram APK it's pretty much the same as browsing the app, you can download stories, reels, posts at max quality. It's great for something you keep up to date with, as you cannot mass download, I've used to download hundreds of files a day and have never got any issue whatsoever, as opposed to Instaloader that got my account banned around a month ago or so. It's still possible to use Instaloader without an account an get up to 1080x1350 pictures, but will get your IP banned pretty soon.